I have always wanted to own a clothes shop and I love dress agencies – you can often find real gems that you would never find on the High Street. So I have decided to dip my toe in the water by opening my own online dress agency, called The Clothes Wardrobe.
For those of you not familiar with dress agencies, the idea is that you drop off your unwanted clothes, accessories and shoes and the agency sells them on your behalf. Most dress agencies will give you 50% of the final sale price.
I have been running The Clothes Wardrobe as an eBay shop for just over a month now and things are going well with sales to customers in the UK, Germany and Canada. I’ve even had an enquiry from Croatia!
How it works
- You drop off your items (good condition, season-appropriate) at my studio at an agreed time
- We agree a price and how you want to sell the items – Auction or Buy It Now
- I list the items in my shop for a maximum 30 days (3 listings of 10 days each)
- After 20 days you can decide to reduce the price if it isn’t selling
- When it sells you will receive 50% of the final sale price
- I will transfer the monies to you once I know the buyer is happy or after 14 days
- I will handle listing, photos, postage, contact with buyer and cover all eBay and PayPal fees
- If the item doesn’t sell, you will need to collect it
- Turns unwanted items into cash
- Your item will be seen by lots more people than a shop
- Involves minimum effort on your part
- May be a risk of starting at a lower price than you would want
- You only get 50% of the sale price
So, for items that are just too good to give away let them earn you some money – maybe to put into your new clothes fund! I’m currently looking for Autumn/Winter items, ideally from high-end brands like Hobbs, Phase Eight, Monsoon, Jigsaw, Boden and Crea Concept.